What to Wear Whitewater Rafting
Wildman Adventure Resort is your one stop destination for all of your outdoor adventures in the Midwest. For over 30 years we have been providing our guests with many different exciting and safe outdoor experiences. Wildman is located in Northeastern Wisconsin and nature has chosen to make this the center of whitewater rafting in the Midwest. Below you’ll find the information you’re looking for when it comes to deciding what to wear while on your rafting trip. The biggest factor will be the time of year you choose to travel and for what type of rapids you’re looking to experience.
The spring rafting season starts here in April and ends just before Memorial Day. The temperatures are usually pretty chilly but the trade off is that the rapids can be very large and exciting. Average high temperatures are usually around 50 degrees with lows in the 30’s. You’ll want to dress appropriately for these trips and it all comes down to some very specific items. The goal here is to wear items that will insulate while they are wet. Much of our clothing these days is made from cotton which is the one thing you want to avoid. You’ll want to find clothing like natural wool or synthetic quick drying materials. Your spring rafting trip at Wildman includes an overall style wetsuit, neoprene footwear, and a synthetic jacket. Below you’ll find some key recommendations for what to bring and wear while spring rafting in Wisconsin:
- Thin wool or synthetic hat or cap to wear under your helmet
- Wool or synthetic tight fitting layer to go under your wetsuit
- Wool or synthetic sweater or sweatshirt to wear over your wetsuit
- Shorts to go over your wetsuit (no long pants)
- Wool or synthetic socks to wear under your neoprene footwear (available in our store)
- If you need to wear glasses while on the river you’ll need some sort of eyewear retainer (available in our store)
- You’ll want to change into dry clothes when you return from your trip.
- You’ll need to bring a towel and a change of clothes to leave in your car, cabin, or campsite.
The summer rafting season starts on Memorial Day weekend at the end of May. Wildman has two options in the summer months. We raft on both the Menominee River and the Peshtigo River. In general you can put away all of your wool clothing. The water on both rivers is relatively warm and you won’t need the warm layers like you do in the spring. You’ll want to wear what you are comfortable in while in the water. You’ll also want some protection from the sun and potentially from you life jacket (pfd). You’ll find the important things for your summer rafting trip below:
- Swimsuit or t-shirt and shorts
- Closed toe shoes (old tennis shoes, or closed toe sandals)
- Sunscreen (sold in our store)
- Eyewear retainer if you wear glasses (sold in our store).
All of these things will help you prepare and make you more comfortable and safe on the river both in the spring and the summer months. The more prepared you are the easier it will be to enjoy all that nature has to offer for whitewater rafting here in Wisconsin. The Peshtigo and the Menominee Rivers provide very exciting yet very different experiences and you can try them both here at Wildman Adventure Resort. All of our outdoor adventures are guided and we’ll show you what you need to know to stay safe and have fun. We’ll be with you from start to finish, enjoying the river with you along the way. One of the best things about Wildman is that you have plenty of other guided outdoor adventures available to you while you are here. If you have questions about our trips please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 715-757-2938. We love talking to people about what’s available and how to maximize their time in the outdoors.